When was the last time you attended an expo? Maybe you even had a site at one. Whether you were a visitor or exhibitor, did you maximise the opportunity? If you didn’t, this article is for you.
First, it’s important to get clear on why you’re part of the expo. Know what outcomes you’d like to achieve and the response you’d like to give people interacting with you. Outline the content and messages that need to be created to generate these connections. In the greater scheme of your branding, how will the expo help achieve your business vision?
See, preparation is the key of any successful expo. Most businesses forget this part.
What do people want?
Times are changing. This, we know. But what does this mean for businesses presenting at expos? Let’s look at a few of the key factors that determine engagement with you and your site.
- The quality of your people, branding, marketing and products or services
- How interesting but authentic your story is
- Offering choice in product or service (two or three options)
- Whether you can inspire and surprise people
- The manner in which you express value – without being ‘cheap’
- The level of co-creation and buy in people have with you while interacting
- Storytelling of your brand, verbally & visually
- Hands-on interactivity with the product or service
- Your ability to educate and challenge perceptions with confidence and conviction.
It all comes back to that human connection we always talk about. Expos are a rare opportunity to connect face-to-face with your current and potential customers. How do you want them to feel as a result of interacting with you? What will it require from your business to be able to create this response?
Next week, we’re going to focus on developing a cohesive expo experience. The most important factor to consider is who you’re targeting. Sit with this for a week or two, until the next article. We’ll also cover the importance of following up, post-expo.
And don’t forget to check out our recent four-part series on how to modernise your mainstreet. Even if you don’t operate a business on a mainstreet, you can still learn and benefit from the concepts we explore.
At Kiikstart, we’re dedicated to helping people create more choice, influence and control about how they live, work and learn. If you’d like to hear more about what we do and the benefits for our clients, contact us today on 0428 593 400 or email email@example.com.