You may have heard about the closure of Coca-Cola Amatil’s manufacturing plant at Thebarton. However, you may not have heard about the company’s best practice approach to handling the closure.
With the permission of Coca-Cola Amatil (thank you to their HR team), today I want to share more about Kiikstart’s engagement with their staff in the lead-up to the closure. In this case study, I’ll cover how our recently created Transform program helped to achieve staff buy-in and reflected Coca-Cola Amatil’s ‘proud to the end’ philosophy as the plant transitioned to closure.
Kiikstart was engaged to work with CCA employees whose roles were being made redundant due to the plant closure. The company sought to give their employees training that would help them to gain new skills and perspectives for a successful career post-CCA.
Initially, we worked with 10 of CCA’s senior leaders, before working with a broader group of 26 shop floor employees.
The Transform Program – How It Worked
Our coaching and mentoring work with CCA was focused on building personal value and cultural fit in a modern, competitive world. Each employee worked one-on-one with Kiikstart to develop a personal action plan.
This work included:
- A personalised career risk assessment to identify career roadblocks and risks;
- Support with updating CVs and other documents ready for market;
- Defining strengths and points of difference in their approach;
- Defining individuals’ values and ethics;
- Developing personal brands and defining an action plan for success;
- Detailed, co-created actions for each participant to complete prior to the next session.
What makes it unique?
- Individualised: The program is tailored to each participant. Working one-on-one with each employee, Kiikstart assisted participants to create their own individual action plan.
- Contemporary: The program is designed to generate new opportunities for employees in an increasingly competitive and changing market. We also consider the Fourth Industrial Revolution, how roles are changing and relevant industries of the future.
- Action-focused: Actions are co-created by employees together with Kiikstart to ensure measurability and progress.
- Open door policy: Participants are able to chat with their coach Ali outside of scheduled sessions. This assists with the development of open and trusting relationships between employee and coach. Kiikstart is able to support employees through the process of applying for roles, the interview process and considering job offers.
Of the Senior Leaders who commenced the program, seven are employed in alternative leadership positions, one is looking for employment, one is mapping out a life of retirement, and one leader is actively engaged in the program and remains at CCA.
Of the shop floor production employees who took part, four are still actively involved in the program as they are contracted until next month at CCA. A further 15 have found new employment, while two are self-employed, one is semi-retired and six have exited the Kiikstart program with a clear action plan.
What Employees Say About the Program
In an anonymous survey, CCA employees rated Kiikstart’s program as the most valuable transition service they were offered in 2018.
“Kiikstart was recommended to me as a support service during the site’s transition to closure. Ali created an open and honest environment allowing each of us to share and learn from each other as we explored our options for the future. By changing the way we viewed our work and life experiences, Ali helped us to understand the true value we could bring to a new workplace. Importantly Ali also helped us create the marketing materials and networking techniques to allow us to showcase the benefits we could offer a new employer. I quickly realised the value of Kiikstart and extended Ali’s scope to include all employees on site. The service proved incredibly effective across the entire site, from operator to Operations Manager and everyone in between.”
– Robert Menadue – Former SA Operations Manager, Coca-Cola Amatil
“I have been with the same company for over 11 years and had not looked or thought about my CV until my position was made redundant. With the company’s support program, I was introduced to Ali and the Kiikstart program. The program helped me ensure my personal / business profile was where it needed to be, portraying the best reflection of myself to potential employers. It challenged me to look outside the normal avenues for gaining employment and provided a pathway to success. I have not experienced a program like this before and I’m so glad I did. I would certainly recommend Ali and the Kiikstart program to others seeking new opportunities in their careers!”
– Brendan Wuttke – Production Planner SA, Coca-Cola Amatil
“Ali provided our employees with creative, modern and proven approaches to generate new opportunities in an increasingly competitive and changing market. Since commencing the program, our employees are more confident and can tell their career story highlighting individual achievements and transferrable skills. I would highly recommend the Kiikstart program to businesses and individuals who are going through transitions or wanting to take a new career path.”
– Alice Thompson-Seagrave – People and Culture Advisor, Coca-Cola Amatil
Interested in the program?
We’re excited to be rolling out our Transform program more widely in 2019. If your company is going through a period of major change – whether it be redundancies, a rebrand, a company partnership, or something in between – get in touch to find out how Kiikstart’s program can have a positive and lasting impact for your team. Get in touch with me at firstname.lastname@example.org or on +61 428 593 400.